Monday, August 9, 2010

Beef Strudel

Well I decided last night that to attempt to get out of this funk I've been in lately, that I would start cooking again. I mean I do still cook but nothing interesting. Just the same old recipes that I could cook with my eyes closed. Boring! So last night I grabbed three cookbooks from my Williams Sonoma collection and picked 7 new recipes that I probably wouldn't normally make or that I just thought looked yummy! Here is on of them. It really was easy and I thought the kids would think it was fun and maybe  a little bit special. Mission accomplished! Although I didn't think it was fabulous(maybe too much dill) it did get me motivated to keep cooking!
  • 3 tbsp butter                                  
  • 1 large onion, minced
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 3 tbsp minced fresh parsley
  • 3 tbsp minced fresh dill
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp allspice or grated nutmeg
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
  • salt and pepper
  • 12 sheets filo pastry
  1. In a large frying pan melt the butter and add the minced onion. Saute until soft. Add the garlic, parsley, dill oregano cinnamon, allspice and beef. Cook, breaking up the beef until cooked through.Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. Stir in the bread crumbs and egg and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool for 30 minutes longer.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. lay parchment on a baking sheet and set aside. Place one phyllo sheet on a clean dry surface and brush it with melted butter. Top with a second sheet and brush with more butter. Continue until you have used 6 sheets.
  3. Place 1/2 of the meat mixture in a strip along the the long edge leaving a 1 inch border. Fold in the ends and roll it up jelly roll style. Repeat with the remaining sheets and meat mixture to form a second roll. If making these ahead of time you can refrigerate them up to 12 hours.
  4. Place the phyllo rolls on the prepared baking sheet and brush with more melted butter. BAke until golden brown, about 35 minutes. Cut into 1/2 inch slices and serve with a dollop of sour cream.

I was just thinking that these might make a better little appetizer in the form of triangles or mini cigars. Maybe with a nice minted yogurt dipping sauce?


No comments:

Post a Comment